Whiplash should be treated immediately by a chiropractor who can relieve pain and stiffness, and gradually improve the range of motion. A chiropractor can help treat whiplash injuries caused by a car accident in Georgia. Chiropractic healthcare is non-invasive, drug-free, and safe for patients of all ages, including children and expectant mothers.
Chiropractic medicine is based upon careful spinal adjustments and controlled manipulations that cause pain.
There are 150 chiropractic techniques. A chiropractor will create a personalized treatment plan using some of these techniques. Your chiropractic doctor may also use specially designed treatment tables and devices to treat your whiplash.
Most Common Chiropractic Techniques
Some of the practices used for treating whiplash include:
- Spinal decompression comprises firm but gentle stretches to the spine that can release tight neck muscles associated with whiplash
- Spinal adjustment is helpful for treating whiplash using controlled, focused spinal manipulations
- Massage therapy is a gentle manipulation of soft tissue for lower back pain, neck and shoulder pain, headaches, and osteoarthritis
A chiropractor can also recommend stretching and movement exercises to gradually restore your range of motion. These gentle and controlled exercises may include:
- Rotating your neck in both directions
- Tilting your head side to side
- Bending your neck toward your chest
- Rolling your shoulders
Please do not begin any other exercises without asking your chiropractor first. You want to be able to resume your normal activities, but it is important that you do not jeopardize your recovery by overdoing exercise.
Potential Risk Factors in Whiplash Treatment and Recovery
Many people who are treated by a chiropractor for whiplash can feel better within a week or so. However, some people are more likely to have pain for several weeks or months after being injured. Potential risk factors that can make your whiplash slightly more complicated to treat include:
- Previous whiplash or similar neck injury
- Weakness, pain, or erosion of the spinal cord and neck from age, injury, or arthritis
Chiropractic Care for Better, Healthier Living
You may be surprised to know that many people have regular chiropractic sessions, and not just for specific injuries like whiplash. Chiropractic care is a holistic approach that may prevent repeated injuries or chronic pain.
Some of the many benefits of regular chiropractic care include:
- Relief from arthritis and other joint and connective tissue pain
- Improved muscle tone
- Enhanced energy and vitality
- Reduced pain and inflammation
- Improved circulation
- Decreased stress and tension
- Improved sleep
- Improved athletic performance for any sport
Your health insurance may cover chiropractic treatments. Please ask your insurance provider for specific coverage and benefits.
Determining Whether You Have Whiplash from a Car Accident
Whiplash is a soft tissue injury. Soft tissue injuries are any kind of damage to muscles, tendons, and ligaments. Whiplash will not appear on an X-ray like a broken or fractured bone. You may not even feel symptoms for several hours or even days after a car accident.
The most common symptoms of whiplash are:
- “Pins and needles” feeling in the arm
- Neck pain, stiffness, and tightness
- Inability to move the neck or pain while moving the neck
- Headaches starting at the back of the neck
- Pain in arms, neck, or lower back
- Dizziness and fatigue
You may also experience:
- Blurred vision
- Ringing in the ears (tinnitus)
- Difficulty sleeping
- Difficulty concentrating
- Memory problems
Untreated soft tissue injuries take longer to heal and could lead to complications and an extended recovery time. That is why you should call a chiropractor right away after a car accident.
Your One-Stop Auto Injury Center to Treat Whiplash Injuries and Much More
Dominguez Chiropractic offers convenient same-day appointments at four Georgia locations:
We relieve the pain of whiplash after a car accident with a customized treatment program. You can also see an MD on staff on the same day.
We also help you with:
- Filing your auto insurance claim
- Connecting you with a reliable tow truck, car rental, and car repair services
- Referring you to a personal injury lawyer if necessary
Dr. Barbara Dominguez and her team are ready to help. A chiropractor can help treat whiplash injuries caused by a car accident in Georgia. Please call (404) 800-3000 for a same-day appointment.