According to Mayo Clinic, if you do not receive treatment soon after you suffer from whiplash, you may be at risk of:
- Chronic neck pain
- Chronic stiffness that may arise without warning or predictability
- Chronic insomnia
- Chronic migraines
- A limited range of motion in your neck
- Limits on activities that you can do because of neck pain and stiffness
Whiplash is not an injury to be taken lightly, as it impacts some of the most important parts of your body, which can result in lifelong pain and physical limitation if it is not treated with thorough care.
Know the Symptoms of Whiplash and Seek Treatment for Them
Whiplash may occur after a sudden, violent motion affects your neck. Such rapid motion can lead to:
- A strain on the soft tissue in your neck
- A tear in the soft tissue in your neck
- Damage to the nerves or bones in your neck and spine
- Additional injury stemming from the violent motion of your head and neck
You are likely to feel some sort of discomfort initially after experiencing whiplash, but the most serious symptoms may not arise until 24 hours or more have passed. Some of the most common symptoms of whiplash include:
- Moderate to severe pain in your neck
- Dizziness and headaches or, in severe cases, a traumatic brain injury (TBI) such as concussion
- A decline in your energy
- Stiffness in your neck and shoulders that limits your ability to turn your head
- Pain when you attempt to turn your head
- Pain throughout your back, which could be the result of injury to your spine
You may experience additional symptoms directly caused by or correlated to whiplash. Whether these symptoms arise shortly after an accident or develop with time, it is important that you seek medical attention right away.
Whiplash Is Common to Car Accident Victims
Whiplash is an injury commonly associated with those who have been in a car accident, specifically those whose vehicle is struck from behind.
The rapid, unnatural motion of the head and neck forward and then back that can occur during a rear-end collision, or a variety of other car accidents may result in whiplash. In addition to car accidents, whiplash could arise from:
- A physical altercation in which your neck, head, or both experience trauma
- An injury sustained while playing sports or engaging in other strenuous activity
- Any other incident where your head, neck, or both sustain a violent, unnatural motion
Regardless of the circumstances under which you develop symptoms characteristic of whiplash, do not ignore the symptoms or attempt to “tough it out.” More than half of subjects in the Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery & Psychiatry study had symptoms of whiplash for at least a year after first experiencing them. If you do not seek treatment, you may also risk sustaining long-term effects of whiplash.
Have Your Symptoms Diagnosed and Treated at Once
If you have reason to believe that you may have suffered whiplash, especially if you have been in a car accident, you may be able to have your symptoms diagnosed and treated in a single location.
Particularly if you have been in an accident, you may be:
- Without a vehicle or relying on a vehicle that needs to be repaired
- Unable to work because of your injury
- Dealing with one or more insurance companies
- Considering legal action to cover your current and future expenses
In other words, you may not have the time or financial means to be going from a doctor to a chiropractor or to various other locations that you may need to visit after an accident. Fortunately, you do not have to.
Dominguez Chiropractic Is Your One-Stop Auto Injury Center
Whether or not you were in an auto accident, Dr. Barbara Dominguez will diagnose and provide treatment for your injuries. If you have been in an auto accident, the team at Dominguez Chiropractic will do even more, including:
- Having an MD on our staff diagnose your injuries the same day that you visit
- Providing treatment for your injuries
- Assisting you in securing car repairs and ensuring that your vehicle is towed to a location where it can be repaired
- Managing your insurance claims
- Arranging for you to speak with a lawyer if you are considering taking legal action
Call Our Team at Dominguez Chiropractic Today
Leaving whiplash or any other injuries or pain untreated should not be an option, as it could leave you with a lifetime of pain. Dr. Barbara Dominguez and the team at Dominguez Chiropractic will take a personal approach to your pain and any other issues you have if you have been in an accident.
Call our team at Dominguez Chiropractic today at (404) 800-3000 for a free consultation.